Browser does not support script.

Visa and Immigration

Working in the UK

Your ability to work in the UK depends on what kind of visa you hold. Some students are also interested in staying in the UK to work after their studies.

A group of young people smiling and working together

Student visa (formerly Tier 4) students

Student visa-holding students (formerly Tier 4 visas) are permitted to work in the UK and the number of hours allowed is based on what kind of course you are studying. 

  • Sub-degree level (pre-sessional or Foundation courses): you can work a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time and full time during holiday periods only
  • Degree-level and above: you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holiday periods

Your visa should also state exactly what your work entitlement is, but if you are unsure about anything then please ask the Visa and Compliance team.

Work Entitlement (term date) letters for your employer

If you find a job in the UK, your employer should do a Right to Work check and you will probably need a letter from the University to provide to your employer.

You can now download Work Entitlement letters yourself from your e:Vision homepage.

If you are unable to download one, please contact as it probably means you have not submitted a required document to the team.

Please note: it is very important that you do not work any more than your visa allows. Working extra hours can have serious consequences and affect your immigration status in the UK.

Staying in the UK to work after studies

New graduate immigration work (post-study work visa)

A new post-study work visa route called the Graduate Visa is now officially open, as of 1 July 2021.

This route is open to all students who successfully complete a UK undergraduate or postgraduate degree. The University will directly inform UK Visas and Immigrations (UKVI) about students who have successfully completed their courses and you will NOT be able to submit a Graduate Route application until the Visa and Compliance team informs you that this has been done.

If you are interested in the Graduate Visa and wish to have your information passed to UKVI upon the completion of your course, please contact 

Please also see the Graduate Visa web page for further details about this immigration route. 

Please also view the UKCISA website for further useful post-study working information.


If you have any questions about your work entitlement, Graduate Route, or would like to speak to an advisor, email

Cookie Settings