Information for parents and guardians
Answering your questions about our student accommodation.
We know that parents, guardians, friends and family members are a vital part of the support network students have when joining York St John University.
We understand that you might be anxious when your loved one moves away from home. This page can hopefully provide some comfort for you and information on the support students will receive during their time with us.
Please be aware that sometimes we are unable to talk to parents, guardians, friends and family members about specific cases due to data protection.
Supporting your child
- Encourage your child to become more independent as their move in date approaches.
- Suggest they call or email our team directly if they have any questions. This makes answering questions much easier, as for data protection reasons we will need to speak to them.
- Make sure your child can use a washing machine, budget for a weekly shop and cook a few simple dishes.
- Advise them to take a look at the support we offer them. They can find this information on our current student pages.
- Make sure that they are familiar with emergency contact numbers and that they know yours.
Our relationship with parents, guardians and other third parties
Due to data protection laws, we are not able to give any information about a current student or applicant to a third party without that student's express permission.
This includes parents, guardians, spouses, and siblings. We understand that this can be frustrating, so in order to speed up the process we ask to speak to the student directly if they have queries that relate to their application.
Sending post to a student
There are a lot of students at each of our sites, so be specific when you are sending post. Clearly write on the item the student's name, flat and room number, site, road name and postcode.
The addresses are as follows:
- 49 Clarence Street, York YO31 7EL
- Abode, Percy's Lane, York, YO1 9PN
- The Brickworks, Hallfield Road, York, YO31 7AD
- City Residence, Haxby Road, York YO31 8JY
- The Coal Yard, 11 Mansfield Street, York, YO31 7AJ
- Limes Court, Heworth, York, YO31 0AE
- Garden Street, Lord Mayors Walk, YO31 7EX
- The Grange: Grange House and St Marys, Ramsay Close, Huntington Road, YO31 8SU
- The Grange: Baldwin House, Cruse, Muir, Lang, Robinson and Welch, Ramsay Close, Huntington Road, YO31 8ST
- St John Central, Carmelite Street, York YO1 7AE
Safety and security
All of our accommodation has access to 24/7 security. We take the safety of York St John students very seriously. Apart from the University Managed Houses, all of our sites are covered by CCTV.
Support in accommodation
As well as our 24 hour Security team, we have Residential Support Assistants (RSAs) at each site.
An RSA is a second or third year student who is trained to provide support at the accommodation sites. They can also put students in contact with others who can help.
We know that you may want to help the student you know with maintenance issues, but it is important that issues are reported by the student themselves.