Sustainability at York St John
Food and catering
Ethical and sustainable food sourcing on campus.
We are continuing to work with our catering team to make sure that our sourcing is as sustainable and ethical as possible.
What we've achieved
- The menu in YSJ Kitchen, our main food outlet on our York campus, is Food for Life Bronze certified by the Soil Association.
- All coffee served at our catering outlets is Rainforest Alliance approved.
- The hot chocolate we serve and the sugar in our main outlets are both Fairtrade certified.
- 80% of our cakes are made in-house, reducing the need for packaging.
- We only use free range eggs.
- Where possible we only use Red Tractor certified meat and Marine Stewardship Council certified seafood.
We have also implemented the following measures:
- 20p takeaway surcharge for disposable food boxes and paper coffee cups
- Water bottle refilling points
- York St John branded reusable and 100% recyclable cups available at all catering outlets, with a £1.00 discount on hot drinks with purchase
- Fighting surplus food waste with the 'Too Good to Go' app
Too Good to Go
Bags of surplus food items including sandwiches, pasties, pizzas, cakes and fruit will be available to buy on the Too Good to Go app at a discounted price from 3.30pm every weekday during term time.
Our sustainable procurement goals
- Source environmentally responsible suppliers
- Purchase goods and services with least environmental impact
- Buy produce locally and within season
- Support local businesses and economy where possible