Community Language School
Apply to volunteer
We provide training and support to help you deliver activity and concept-based language classes.
The Community Language School aims to create classes that place emphasis on developing the oral fluency of children and adolescents.
You do not need prior experience or training in teaching. What we would like to see in abundance though, is an enthusiasm to spread the love for learning languages!
Classes are run on Saturday afternoons for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the number of students. The school year typically runs from September to May with breaks from December to January, and March to April.
What we are looking for in a volunteer
- Proficiency in a language other than English
- Ability to commit to at least 50% of the school year's classes (approximately 10 Saturdays)
- Interest in working in the area of language provision
- Ability to attend online Microsoft Teams meetings with School Leads to prepare class content
- Willingness to attend training sessions
- Experience of team work
- Interest in maintaining a reflective journal about personal trajectory on the programme
Training and support
We will provide:
- Induction with School Leads
- Online safeguarding training and an enhanced DBS check
- Optional weekly online meetings with School Leads to discuss any aspects relating to the delivery of classes
- Resources needed for classroom activities
How to apply
- Download and complete the application form below.
- Send us your form, along with your CV and a brief cover letter explaining your motivation for applying, your proficiency in the language you are offering to share with children, and any prior experience of working with children and/or adolescents. Forms should be sent to Nikki Jephson, York St John Communities Centre Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend an interview with School Leads.
- Complete online safeguarding training.
- Complete paperwork to obtain DBS clearance.
- Sign volunteer agreement.