Browser does not support script.

Wellbeing support

Welfare Adviser appointments

A meeting with a Welfare Adviser is an opportunity for you to talk through practical welfare challenges you are facing. These might include sexual assault, domestic violence, pregnancy, police or crime matters, or other issues having a serious impact on you or your studies.

Students talking in De Grey cafe

If you have experienced sexual violence, harassment, domestic abuse or hate crime, you can also report this – anonymously, if you prefer – on our Report and Support website. You can do this in addition to making an appointment with a Welfare Adviser, if you would like to.

What our Welfare Advisers can help with

Here are some examples of the things that we, as Welfare Advisers, are here to talk to you about:

  • Sexual assault, whether this was a recent or past experience.
  • Bullying, harassment, stalking or personal safety concerns.
  • Domestic violence.
  • Sex worker support.
  • Drug or alcohol concerns.
  • Pregnancy, including implications that such changes might have for your time at university.
  • Police or crime matters, whether you have experienced a crime or been accused of committing a crime.
  • Issues relating to your privately rented accommodation, such as problems with your private landlord or serious difficulties with housemates.
  • Needing to take time out of study or thinking about leaving university, especially if you would prefer to talk to someone outside your academic school in the first instance.

Our Welfare Advisers can give you information and signpost you to further internal or external support services. We are experienced members of staff who understand University processes.

Issues that other University services are better placed to help with

There are some types of support that other teams at the University are better placed to help you with, rather than us. For example:

  • If you are seeking support with your mental health or emotional wellbeing, you should self-refer for wellbeing support, instead of booking an appointment with a Welfare Adviser.
  • If you are experiencing general issues relating to your course, you should contact your academic tutor or other staff within your academic school.
  • For general issues relating to living in University-managed accommodation, you should contact our Accommodation team.
  • For issues regarding finances or student funding, you should contact our Funding Advice team.

Our Welfare Advisers are also not able to give certain types of advice, such as legal advice. If we feel you need a type of advice that we cannot provide, we may refer you to external agencies who can help you further.

How to book an initial appointment with a Welfare Adviser

To book an initial appointment with a Welfare Adviser, use our appointment booking system.

When you book, you will be able to choose a time and date that works for you.

Your appointment with a Welfare Adviser will last for up to 40 minutes, and it will be in person, by phone, or by video call using Microsoft Teams.

This form is for initial appointments only. If you have already met previously with a Welfare Adviser, you should contact the Welfare Adviser you met with, or email to request a further appointment.

Book an initial appointment with a Welfare Adviser

If you are using a public or shared computer to complete the form, we recommend you open it in a new 'private' or 'incognito' window in your browser, for your confidentiality.

Attending an appointment

We have collated some useful information to help you get as much out of your appointment as possible.

Information about attending an appointment

Meet our Welfare Advisers

Camilla Jowett

Camilla Jowett

Lead Welfare Adviser

Following my undergraduate degree in Archaeology and Ancient History at Nottingham University, I undertook a PGCE course in Primary Education at Roehampton University. Since then I have worked in many different schools in London, Dorset and Yorkshire as a teacher, Curriculum Consultant and in Senior Management. I joined the York St John Wellbeing team in May 2022, and I really enjoy supporting students in my role as Lead Welfare Adviser.

Staff profile image of Tilly Fallows

Tilly Fallows

Welfare Adviser

I work as one of the Welfare Advisors here at York St John and am a BACP-registered counsellor. I gained my PGDip in Counselling and Psychotherapy at Leeds Beckett University in 2022, and before joining York St John I have previously provided counselling to college students and within a local bereavement service. I’ve also had over 5 years’ experience working in schools in SEND education.

Our Welfare Advisers work closely with our Wellbeing Practitioners. Together our wellbeing and welfare practitioners make up the University's multidisciplinary Wellbeing team.

Cookie Settings