Browser does not support script.

Wellbeing support

If you need help now

What to do if you are a York St John student who needs help right now.

Our University wellbeing team is not an emergency service and not a 24/7 service.

We offer support as quickly as we can to students who self-refer to our team, but there may be a waiting time to see us.

If you are a student who is concerned that you might harm yourself, or if you are facing an imminent life-threatening situation, you need to contact an emergency or crisis support service instead.

Below are details of the main emergency and crisis support services. Unless it says otherwise, these are open 24 hours a day, every day.

Emergency and crisis support services


Contact the emergency services using the phone number 999.

If you are not able to make phone calls, services such as 999 BSL and Relay UK provide emergency contact relays for hearing or speech impaired people in the UK.

Crisis Team in York

If you are in York, you can telephone your local crisis service on 0800 0516 171. If you live outside of York, find local crisis support services on the NHS website. If a health professional has already given you a Crisis Line number, call it.


You can make your way to any hospital which has an Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department. It might help to ask someone to accompany you. The NHS Accident and emergency services search will help you find your nearest hospital. If you are in York, this is:

York Hospital
Emergency Department (A&E)
Wigginton Road
York YO31 8HE

Tel: 01904 726 042

York Hospital can also be contacted by BSL interpreter using the InterpretersLive! service.


You can telephone Samaritans on 116 123 or send an email to If you need a response immediately, it's best to call on the phone. You can also contact the Samaritans phone number using the Relay UK service if you are deaf or hearing or speech impaired. This number is free to call, and you don't have to be suicidal to call. Find out on the Samaritans website whether you live near a Samaritans branch which you can visit to talk, face to face.

Your GP or medical practice

Contact the GP or medical practice at which you are registered and ask for an urgent appointment.


If you are on campus or living in university owned accommodation, we have a 24/7 Security team that you can contact. To contact on campus security, you can call 01904 876 444 or call or text 07779 967 756.

Your hall of residence

If you are living in halls of residence not owned by York St John, you may have been given details of how to contact a duty member of staff out-of-hours.

Other organisations

Other organisations, including PAPYRUS and Student Minds, offer helpful resources and support services, some of which are only available at certain times of the day.

Please do not forget the importance of talking to someone you trust. Let family or friends know what's going on for you. They may be able to offer support and help keep you safe. There's no right or wrong way to talk about suicidal feelings. Starting the conversation is what's important.

Cookie Settings