Students with additional requirements
We are here to make sure your accommodation needs are met.
We help students with a range of needs find the right accommodation for them.
If you have a disability, health concern, or other specific need, we are here to help. The more details we have and the earlier we are aware of your needs, the more able we are to give you a room that suits you.
When you apply for a room, it is important to fill in the additional requirements form. You should do this even if you think the type of room you have applied for will meet your needs. This helps us to make sure everything is in place for you.
Who we work with
We can provide help and support for students with a range of needs. These needs can include:
- Sight, hearing, or mobility impairments.
- Diagnosed physical health conditions or disabilities.
- Diagnosed mental health conditions.
- Health conditions which need specific medication storage.
- Medical dietary requirements.
- Religious or wellbeing needs.
- Height over 6 feet 3 inches.
We do not make adjustments for personal room or site preferences, non-medical dietary restrictions, or personal financial circumstances.
The support we provide
We can make adjustments to many of our rooms so that they meet your needs. These changes can include:
- A fridge for storage of medication.
- A larger or longer bed.
- Single sex accommodation.
- Alcohol free accommodation.
- Ensuite rooms.
- Visual fire alarms.
- Provision of a second room for a carer (funded by social services).
- An accessible room with appropriate bathroom facilities.
- Fully wheelchair accessible rooms and facilities.
To apply for additional accommodation requirements, please fill in our application form.
How to apply
Fill out the application form
When you apply for a room through our Accommodation Hub, you will be asked to tick a box if you have additional requirements.
You can then complete the form. You will answer a series of questions about your needs and the adjustments we can make for you. You can then send us any supporting evidence by email to email@example.com.
Provide supporting evidence
When you apply, you may need to provide evidence of your additional needs. You also need to let us know who we can share that evidence with.
Any evidence from a medical professional should be:
- The practitioner's own diagnosis.
- Up to date and written in English.
- Specific to your accommodation needs.
You will need to give us written consent if you would like us to talk to a third party, such as a parent or carer, about your needs. Send your consent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your email should include:
- Your full name and student number.
- The full name of person(s) you consent to share information with.
- The length of time of this consent, for example the duration of the application period.
Therapy and assistance animals
You might want to bring a physical assistance or therapy animal with you to university. If so, you will need to fill in a request form for us to consider. We will ask for your personal details, the type of animal you want to bring, and a brief outline of how the animal will help with your needs.
You can find more details of our policy on assistance and therapy animals, and our request form, in the document below.
Our Accommodation team will review your application form and the evidence you have given us. We will keep you up to date with the status of your application by email. This status will be one of the following:
Sufficient evidence provided: Your application will be provided and a suitable room will be allocated to you. If you have complex needs, we may discuss this with you further. We may discuss this with other York St John services such as our Disability Advice Team.
Further evidence required: You will need to provide extra evidence. We will tell you the timescale for you to provide this.
Insufficient evidence: Your request will be rejected. We will process your application in the normal way but will not be prioritised.